Monday, October 23, 2006

The Banquet

Many Christians have a misconception about what a 'spiritual life' is all about. They think that living like a monk with no desires and living a drab, mundane life devoid of any enjoyment is what God looks upon as being spiritual. But that is not the Gospel. A monastic lifestyle is not really good news. Let's see what the good news of the Gospel really is, through a simple but enlightening story.

A young couple, let us call them John and Ruth, committed their lives to the Lord, accepting Jesus as their Lord and Savior. They prayed fervently that God would teach them how to live a spiritual life. The Lord answered their prayer and invited them to a banquet. They were thrilled beyond measure. When they arrived, the Lord ushered them into a huge banquet hall. There was a huge table that almost filled the entire hall, but there were only three chairs. “Lord, are we the only ones going to partake of this banquet?” Ruth enquired. The Lord said, “In fact, only you both are going to partake. I am here just to watch you both have a great time. My happiness is in seeing God’s children being happy.”

After they sat down, John looked around the hall and said, “Lord, the table is huge alright, but I notice it is empty.” Then, with a sense of realization he continued “I think I know why Lord. We asked you to teach us how to live a spiritual life. We cannot live a spiritual life if we have everything we need. So the table is empty, signifying a life of simplicity, humility, poverty, lack and want, ‘thorn in the flesh’ sicknesses and a lot of needs to keep us humble and totally dependant on You. Only then can we live a spiritual life. I am I right Lord?”

The Lord smiled, shook His head and replied, “You are totally wrong son. First of all, the table is not empty. It is packed with every good thing that you need to live a successful and victorious life on this earth. The table can hardly bear the weight of all the good things stacked up almost up to the ceiling of this huge hall. Its just that all the items are invisible to the human eye. You cannot see them, but I can see them as clearly as I can see you both.” The couple could hardly believe what the Lord was telling them. “Lord, You mean to say virtually everything that we need in this life is already provided here on this table?” they asked. The Lord nodded thoughtfully and said, “Virtually everything, and more than everything. I am El Shaddai, remember? A God who is more than enough!”

John said “Lord, it must have cost you a lot to fill a table so huge with priceless gifts!” The Lord solemnly acknowledged and said “It cost me My Life!” John and Ruth could feel their eyes filling up with tears. They stood in awe, face to face with the embodiment of love. The Lord continued “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.

“By my Death, Burial and Resurrection, I have purchased all the good things that every single human being on earth, past, present and future would ever need. Righteousness, love, peace, joy, health, success in spiritual life, success in family life and the work place are all present here. Every single person is provided a table like this. The day they commit their lives to Me and accept Me as their Lord and Savior, I grant them the right to partake of it.”

John was confused. “But Lord, why do so many Christian believers go through life without enjoying any of these good things that you have so lovingly provided for them?” he asked. The Lord had a very sad look on His Face. “Some stick to their traditional beliefs and don’t accept Biblical Truth when it is taught to them. Some believe in the doctrine of poverty and reject My gift of an abundant life. Still others don’t believe in My goodness. They think all that I have provided in salvation is a ticket to Heaven and nothing else for their earthly life”, He answered.

“Now consider what I went through in order to purchase all this for mankind. I was bleeding from head to toe when I hung on the Cross, so that my children can have healing and live a perfectly healthy life, and yet so many live in sickness. My Body was broken so that their bodies may be made whole. But they reject this truth and instead believe that I give them their sickness in order to teach them something. I teach through My Word, not through sickness” the Lord continued.

“On the Cross, I became sin that my children might become the righteousness of God through Me. Yet many Christian believers think of themselves as unworthy sinners. In turn, this prevents them from leading a victorious Christian life. On the Cross, I became poor that my children might become rich and enjoy an abundant life. Yet they reject this generous gift and choose a life of poverty. They think I will be impressed by their humility. Instead, I am grieved by their ignorance” the Lord said very sadly.

“Remember, on the Cross I was your substitute, not your representative. After the full ransom was paid, I rose from the dead. In the resurrection, I became your representative. All that is mine is now yours. In Me you have all the riches of Heaven” the Lord continued, as He saw realization dawn on John and Ruth.

“Whenever you have a need, remember the banquet table. Whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it (believe that it is already provided on the table), and it will be yours (it will appear in the physical realm). Don’t see the empty table. Learn to look into the spiritual realm, and see the table filled to capacity. Walk by faith, not by sight. That is the essence of living a spiritual life” the Lord taught.

No comments: